Monday, January 9, 2012

Some winter garden musings


Oops.
I didn't try to make this the year of the monster turnip, and yet that's what it's become.  I guess it's better than last year when everything froze before we got more than a few radishes.  They got so large so fast, and once that had begun they were too intimidating to eat.  I tried giving them away, but alas.  This one was all corky inside.


We did get a handful of luscious golden peas before the last cold snap, which killed everything--sigh.  I think I'm just a better summer gardener.  Well, maybe I shouldn't say that yet.


This is merely to remind myself how lovely the Japanese Red Mustard was before it got frozen.  It's still alive and is slowly growing back, but it looks like compost.  I guess I'm feeling pessimistic today.  The tomato seedlings for the summer garden are just starting to sprout, so I don't really have any right to complain.

1 comment:

  1. It's not just you. I bought a rutabaga at the farmer's market Saturday that I swear was as large as a baby's head. The farmer sold it to me for a dollar because he thought it would be corky inside but it was wonderful all the way through. That one rutabaga fed all five of us with plenty left over for soup!

    ReplyDelete