Thursday, July 9, 2015

Stuck



I have been writing less, mostly because I have discovered that sitting by a computer makes me feel awful.  I feel bad for all the people who spend many hours a day in front of these machines.

April has been getting her head stuck in the fence almost daily (twice one day).  Her horns have grown, and now they are the perfect shape for getting stuck.  The first time it happened, Twilight Sparkle got really excited because April is her major rival, and started thrashing her, shoving her with her horns, and even goring her belly.  I was milking, but ran over to rescue April and found that she would not cooperate with me enough to allow her head to be pushed back to get her horns through, so eventually I gave up and left her there, at the mercy of Twilight Sparkle.

Another time, it was Nougat who was thrashing her.  I did interfere then, because Nougat is a dangerous goat (she put a hole in Mirin's t-shirt with one of her horns!  We are looking into finding another home for her - she is friendly to adults, but not to children).  I still could not get her horns out, so I threw peanut hay over the fence to distract the other goats and give her a chance to get free, which she eventually did.  Two seconds later she was bleating her head off - she was stuck again, and again refused to cooperate.  I was done milking and brought the rest of the goats back to the pasture.  I started milking Matilda and tried to ignore the pathetic bleating.  Ethan heard and ran over to rescue her.

"April's stuck!" he said as he charged to the rescue.  "Didn't you hear her?"

"I know, I know," I said over my shoulder, trying to avoid Matilda smacking me in the face with her tail, "It's the second time today.  I'm hoping she'll figure it out this time."

She didn't.

It's the grass on the other side of the fence.  It's too tempting and delicious.  SO much better than the grass in the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment