Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Spontaneous Sack Race

A spontaneous feed-sack race was going on yesterday afternoon.  These things are surprisingly fun to play with.  There's so much you can do with it.  Stuff like this gets so many more play-miles on it than anything you can buy.

Clothilde realized you can go WAY faster if the sack goes on the other half of you.  (She caused a few accidents on account of not being able to see where she was going)




We are in our dry fall spell right now - it is bliss.  The air is cool, we have the windows open, and I feel like someone snapped their fingers and brought me out of the damp and drowsy enchantment I was under all summer.  I feel alive again.

We spent almost all weekend out at the farm - Ethan mowed the pastures and I worked in the garden.  Clothilde helped plant carrots, turnips and parsnips.  It's been needing to be done for a month now, but it was just too hot to move, or it was pouring rain when we were there.  It was so nice to be working the ground.



It's funny how it doesn't feel lonely out there - probably because of all the animals.  Twilight Sparkle had her head stuck in the fence for a couple of hours while we were there, and I didn't realize because I thought all the bleating was Night Hawk  She didn't learn from it, of course, and got her head stuck again on Monday.  She'll probably do it again today, too.

We have been talking about how hard it is to work in the summer.  The high heat, the thunderstorms, the humidity, the bugs...it's brutal during those months.  But the rest of the year is dreamy and lovely.  I think we need to think of July through September like the sort of deep winter that happens up North.  We just never treat it like that.  We work extra hard instead.

This past week I've thought a lot about what happened at the Waldorf lecture, and I feel like something clicked for me somehow.  I feel like the incident was a little push in a better direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment