Monday, January 25, 2016

Working on Dreams



We have so many plans and dreams this year.  Things that will make our life so much easier, and solve so many little, nagging problems.  Last year I struggled to figure out solutions.  This year I know what I want, but we haven't been able to make it happen yet - which I find almost as frustrating as not knowing what to do!  I go back and forth between wanting to just have things done, and wanting to take the time to do it right.

Ethan worked through the frigid weekend so that we could take advantage of the good weather during the week to work outside.

Here's one of my projects:






I've been building permanent beds for perennials in front of the garden.  I tried having an herb garden there first, but it got very weedy and was difficult to tend to right next to the fence.  The past few years it has been a wild butterfly garden, but it's been getting out of hand and the butterfly plants are being smothered by blackberries and weeds.  I plan to move the butterfly plants to a different location so that I can mow along the fence.  I am being very careful to leave enough space between the beds for mowing, too.


I've already started planning what to plant - my heirloom roses I started from cuttings four years ago first of all.  I couldn't figure out a good spot for them until now.  And all the bulbs that get shaded out along the fence will be moved.  A bed for multiplier onions, garlic chives, and herbs that need a permanent place like lavender, rosemary, oregano, mint, thyme, yarrow, sage.

I want to also have medicinals such as licorice, Echinacea, skullcap, and Isatis.  Someday it will look like more than just an overgrown junk pile out here!


No comments:

Post a Comment