Friday, October 30, 2009

The Winter garden 2009

Donkey doo. I love it. It is the basis of all things green and lovely in our garden. Donkeys set out special place to poop, so there are nice manure piles in every paddock. It makes it easy to pick up and compost.
Here you can see the garden is finally doing something. The trellises have five different kinds of peas planted--golden peas, sutton's harbinger, green arrow, purple podded and little marvel, though they are still small. They are waiting for the cool weather to take off. The mass of green on the far right are carrot beds over planted with radishes. The miserable-looking plants in the foreground are the beets. They have not thrived. I was very please to go to another farm and see their beets suffering as well. I think beets don't really like Florida. I even limed them like you are supposed to when I planted the seeds. The beds to the far far left are newly seeded. Over all we have radishes, parsnips, beets, carrots, turnips, collards, kale, bok choy, pak choy, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, arugula, spinach, swiss chard, daikons, onions, elephant garlic and peas planted. A very nice garden I am starting to be proud of.

Here are some radish pickles I made the other day. The one on the left is sliced radish roots in a brine with onion. They are plum purple radishes, cherry belle, french breakfast, munchen beir and mitsatastu rose radishes. The greenish one on the right is a salted mixture of chopped radish leaves and grated daikon. Yum! I was so excited about winter pickles!

No comments:

Post a Comment