Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Nature Finds: Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail (and Mr. Coachwhip)


Yesterday Ethan caught three little rabbits near the garden.  We are not sure what to do with them.  We had caught one little wild rabbit years ago (eating my garden!!) and he did not take well to captivity.  We could release them (to go eat my garden) but....  

(caution, snake picture)



There were actually four baby rabbits at first.  Ethan caught three, but the almost 8-ft long coachwhip that likes to hang out in an empty pipe (that's how we know how long he is) caught one, too.  So if we let the others go, I'm guessing he'll probably eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.



A few other nature finds - a green lynx spider on dog fennel with an egg case.


These beautiful bugs I had seen in the garden and kept telling myself I had to get out there with some soapy water....but we found out that they are actually beneficial carnivorous stinkbugs.  It's quite a nice surprise to discover a beneficial bug after battling with so many pests this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment