Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Snowflakes


It's funny how things work out sometimes.  All last week I had planned to make snow flakes with the big kids, but they never showed up for it.  As soon as they woke up I would say, "I have something fun for us to do after breakfast."

They would nod and run away outside, and I wouldn't see them until lunchtime, because they ate breakfast at my mother's table next door.  Ah, well, they've always scorned the usual home-grown omelet with fresh goat cheese and garden herbs.  Then it would be too late and I would be stuck outside chasing Clothilde so she could get some fresh air and exercise (she goes insane without it).

Surely, I thought to myself after this had happened several times in a row, I can pin them down.  WE WILL MAKE SNOWFLAKES!!!  But they are just so good at evading me.  Okay, I finally conceded.  No one wants to make the stupid snowflakes.  I was surprised at how sad and disappointing this realization was.  I had all along imagined us all sitting down and snipping white paper with craft scissors.  Because it was a fantasy, no one was fighting, and Clothilde didn't even cut off most of her hair.

Instead I went outside again with Clo.  Heck, I realized, I didn't even feel like making snowflakes.  I just wanted some peace to write in my journal, so I did.  I covered a whole page complaining about no one wanting to make snowflakes while Clothilde fed me sand pies she was baking in the sand box.  It was such a relief.

Then just that evening, somehow, with some holiday magic, the white paper came out.  The scissors started to snip.  They made snowflakes!  All on their own!  It was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment