Friday, September 2, 2011

Geranium's Surprise July Baby

I promise I would have posted much, much sooner, except that Ethan had all the photos on his phone, and it apparently takes two months to remember to put them on the computer (ahem).

When we bought Ms. Geranium, she was supposedly bred to calve in April. However, she had been transported first from Vermont to Wisconsin, and then after a few months was transported to Florida (That's a lot of travelling for a mama cow). When I wrote to her original owner, he was worried she had miscarried during her travels. I had no idea if she was pregnant or not, since she is a rather wide cow to begin with, and I don't know how to palpate to see if they are pregnant (I honestly don't think Geranium would have stood for that, anyway).

April rolled around, and the baby failed to appear. We kept on expecting through May, because there is a 20-day window in which a mama cow could calve. Into June, however, we had lost hope and were talking about having her bred in the fall. Then, suddenly, very close to the 4th of July, a new baby magically appeared. Ethan was the first one to see him. It was one of those very rare days when I was not out at the farm (of course), so I missed it.
He was small, but has grown fast. We began calling him Sebastian, but after getting to know him better, Ethan now refers to him as "Meat-head." He had to carry him (twice) out to pasture because the little booger wouldn't just follow the herd (or his mom). And he was peed on, so I can't really blame him.

No comments:

Post a Comment