Monday, September 5, 2011

Summer Tomatoes



These were the tomatoes from the last big tomato harvest, probably in June.  Tomatoes are kind of a pain to grow--they must be started so early and coddled through the cold of the late winter and early spring, and then all sorts of things like to eat them, but I think it's worth it.  They are so lovely.  I was dreaming of huge, beautiful harvest of lots of different kinds and colors of heirloom tomatoes ever since we started growing things out at the farm.


I had planted Matt's Wild Cherry again this year.  I do like it, but next year I'd like to try a different red cherry tomato.  Matt's are so small, they are hard to pick.  No one wanted to help me pick them, because it's pretty tedious.  The Beam's Yellow Pear tomatoes are a different story, however.  Everyone liked picking those.  

This weekend we are putting in our winter garden.  The summer garden seems so far away now, and I have even forgotten exactly what kinds of tomatoes these all are.  I have the names of all the brassicas and sweet peas we are planting in my thoughts instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment