Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mid-summer Harvest

Again, these pictures were taken months ago (maybe in November I can post the photos I just took of our baby winter garden!).  That was a very good watermelon, I remember.  In the foreground is a Silverline melon, next to a Collective Farm Woman Melon.  Behind that is a single Ice Cream melon, with lots of the Golden Jenny melons.  Mmmm....I miss the melons.  I need to find a better way to plant them.  Every year the weeds take over and I lose melons because I can't find them.

This was one of the pumpkin harvests.  Lots of little lemon squash still, although these were too old to really eat.  The Winter Luxury Pie pumpkins were heavenly.  I still have one, although it's looking a bit old.  The Black Futsu pumpkins were a bit disappointing.  They were so tiny, and I guess they kind of tasted like hazelnuts, but not enough to be worth it.  I think they didn't like Florida, either.  The salmon pink warty pumpkins are the gorgeous Galeux Des Eysines ( I hope I spelled it right).  They are one of my favorite pumpkins.  I made the "Squash Cooked in a Light Broth" recipe with them from this book for when we were studying the Mayans for home school.

No comments:

Post a Comment