Tuesday, July 1, 2014

In the Kitchen: Roasted Cherry Tomatoes



The Tess's Land Race current tomatoes have exploded in fruit.  I really like this tomato.  It looks like someone's compost tomato they saved seed from.  It is huge, vine-like and aggressive and has really variable fruit - some red, some orange, some yellow, some big, some small.  It's like planting a whole bunch of different kinds of cherry and currant tomatoes with just one variety.

Currant tomatoes are great to snack on, but finding myself with even too much for that, I've been roasting them in the oven.  The roasting concentrates their sweetness, and it's super easy - I just roll them into a roasting pan, sprinkle with salt, drizzle with olive oil and add some sliced garlic and put them in the oven at 350 F until they look "roasty."  I haven't timed it, but I think it's about 20 minutes, if the oven is already hot.  I add some fresh, minced basil about 5 minutes before taking them out of the oven.  They get caramelized and taste (at least to our candy-deprived palettes) like savory candy.

And yes, there are cucumbers that snuck into the picture - the fact is, there just isn't a cucumber-free spot on the table right now.  The family is begging for mercy and asking me not to try a second planting.  There were some jokes about having me locked up if I get near the cucumber seeds.  Okay, twelve plants was a bit much, but usually they don't all survive like that.  We just got lucky this year.  Or unlucky, I'm not sure.  Hey, I'm still enjoying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment